Volunteering With Positive Activities
1000’s of people, young and old, have enjoyed the activities and programmes provided by Positive Activities since we began in May 2007 as Get Hooked on Fishing.
Many of our activities are supported by volunteers as well as appropriately qualified coaches. Sometimes we ‘talent spot’ participants who have that little bit of something special – such as an ability to help people feel at ease and to support and encourage people.
When this happens, we might invite them to join our Positive Activities team as a Peer Mentor or a Volunteer. For some of our mentors and volunteers this is the first step to becoming one of our future fully qualified and accredited coaches.
There are many reasons to volunteer. Of course we benefit from your time and skills but you get something out of it too! Through volunteering you can challenge yourself to try something different, achieve personal goals, practice using your skills and discover hidden talents. By volunteering with Positive Activities you can:
- Gain confidence by trying something new and building a sense of achievement.
- Make a difference to your community.
- Meet people and make new friends.
- Be part of a community. Volunteering can help you feel part of something outside your friends and family.
- Learn new skills, gain experience and possibly qualifications.
- Take on a challenge.
- Have fun!
Many of our volunteers move on into employment. The contribution of our volunteers to the local community is immense. Since 2007 Positive Activities’ Volunteers have contributed around 40,000 hours of support.